Thursday, March 19, 2009

SISTER PROFILE: Lisa Sourbeer Bower

Happy Thursday! We are pleased to introduce Lisa as our SISTER OF THE WEEK. Lisa was involved in a recent episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition!!! She had volunteered to help create window treatments and pillows for a family in need - and got an experience to remember. Check out the recent article in SHIP Magazineand let's hear more about Lisa:

FOCUS ON: LISA SOURBEER BOWER

Please share a little about yourself (hometown, career, family, etc.)? I’m originally from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I met my husband, Doug Bower (’92) after school. That in itself is a coincidence, we never met at Ship even though AOII had an exchange with his fraternity and pre-partied in his apartment. After Doug and I married, we moved to Ellicott City, MD and we’ve been here since 2000. We have 2 daughters, Madison who is 7 and Ella who is 5. Madi is shy and sweet (like Doug) and Ella is a little ball of fire (like Mommy). They are the center of our world. We have so much fun together as a family.

Family Tree - founding sister: Geri Adams... big sister: Kim Duld & grand big: Jill Parris

What is your favorite AOII memory? There are several, but most take place at the old house in Apartment G….we had a lot of fun there! I loved helping make the float for the homecoming parade too.

What is your most meaningful AOII moment? Definitely the initiation ceremony. It was a such a moving experience.

What do you remember most about your SHIP days? I had a lot of fun, partied too much and should have studied harder. My partner in crime, Winni and I got into a lot of trouble together, but boy did we have a blast.

What funny story can you share with us? Hmmm, there are TONS of funny, but REALLY embarrassing stories, not so sure I really want to share them publicly.

Four years ago you started your own company, Madella's Interior Decorating... HOW did you begin? I literally fell into this business. I started my career in sales and moved into executive recruiting. I’d always wanted to own a business, but couldn’t figure out WHAT business. One night, 2 of my very close friends were over for dinner and they convinced me that I had the talent to start an interior decorating business. It took a lot of persuasion, but I finally decided to give it a try. I created a website with some of my work, advertised in Superpages and started getting phone calls. That was about 6 years ago. I officially started Madella’s in 2005, since then I have attended Maryland Institute College of Art for Interior Design, and I am very involved in the Window Coverings Association of America. Although I still do space planning, furniture selection and color consultations, my specialty is window treatments. I love fabrics! Every time a new box of fabrics arrives, I can’t wait to rip open the box and pour through all the new selections.

What is your most proud accomplishment since college? My family. No question about it, I am most proud of my family. Doug and I are celebrating our 11 year wedding anniversary this year. He is a wonderful husband and father. He is my very best friend, we have so much fun together and the girls complete us.

What advice can you give our graduating sisters? Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t do something, take risks in your life, and follow your heart. Don’t be too proud to reach out to others for help. Whatever you do in life, there are so many that came before you and made mistakes. If you take the time to learn from those people, you will avoid many future headaches.

Other comments: You didn’t ask me if I have any regrets. I’d like to say I do have regrets, moments I wish I could do over. I guess we all do, but when I was a senior, I just wanted to graduate and get on with my life. I committed to taking a little sister and I know I let her down. Boy, I wish I could have that as a do over. I didn’t pledge until I was a Junior and wish I wouldn’t have waited that long. Mostly, I wish I wouldn’t have been so self absorbed. I really acted like a jerk and when I look back today, I’m embarrassed about it. Those days were so precious, they go by so quickly, and you never get them back again.

Thanks, Lisa!
Click here to visit her website: Madella's Decor or read up on her blog: Madellas Blog... "A Little Background" post is a must-read!

No comments: