Friday, March 13, 2009

NIKOLE'S 3-DAY

In only six months, I will be walking my second Breast Cancer 3-Day to benefit Susan G. Komen for a Cure and National Philanthropic Trust. I will be walking 20 miles a day (total of 60 miles), camping out at night and sharing good times with some of my girlfriends along the way. It seems as though most people these days have a connection to breast cancer. I know it has hit me close twice so the journey to find a cure is a mission on mine! -Nikole

Dear Family and Friends,
My first experience walking the 2008 Atlanta 3Day was AMAZING! I told myself that if I survived the first year, I would continue to walk the 60 miles each year until I cannot walk anymore. Though at the time, the humongous blisters on my heals made me want to scream and wonder what I was doing, the sea of pink shirts and people cheering us on made me forget what my feet felt like. To think….I was worried about blisters on my feet when many of the women I was walking with had been or were currently going through chemotherapy. This comparison definitely puts the pain in a new perspective for sure!!

Again this year, I will be honoring my mother (Mirinda), a 10 year breast cancer survivor and remembering my childhood friend, Stephanie Franchak, who lost her battle to a rare and aggressive form of breast cancer. If you have the name of a breast cancer survivor or someone that may have lost their battle that you would like to honor, please let me know….I’d love to add their name to those that I walk for this year.

With the help of many of you, I was able to raise approximately $3,200 last year. The minimum amount that I have to raise $2,300, but why settle for the minimum—right? I am setting my personal goal as $3,500.

This year I am the captain of SAVING THE GIRLS (“girls” = boobs of course!) and am joined by several of my fellow teachers at Jones MS. Our school principal commended us on our walk and showed us such great support that little by little we are filling the halls of our school with pink and a new awareness of breast cancer!!

Click here to visit The Atlanta 3-Day or Saving the Girls.

No comments: