JULY 31 thru AUGUST 9th: The festival, Musikfest, located in Bethlehem PA showcases nearly every musical style imaginable, with more than 300 performers from across the country - trust us when we say there is "something for everyone"!
Musical programming is loacated at 14 different indoor and outdoor stages -- 11 stages are free! As a tribute to Bethlehem's Germanic heritage, most of Musikfest's sites have german 'platz' names- the word 'platz' is German for "place." Click here for a full LineUp of performers.
Some of the more "well-known" artists this year (that require ticket purchase) include the Commodores, Joan Jett and Blondie, Third Eye Blind, George Thorogood, YES with Asia and Crosby, Stills & Nash.
Here are OUR suggestions (these are all free concerts):
1. Jolly Joe Timmer Polka - Friday July 31st 5 pm - 6:30 Festplatz - Yes, we said POLKA!! And it is guaranteed entertainment; whether you join in or just people watch... with this lively music we're sure your foot will be tapping along with the band!
2. Country Night at Americaplatz - Saturday August 1 from 5:30 - 11 pm After all, isn't everyone "a little bit country"???
3. The Cat's Pajamas Monday August 3rd 4:30 - 5:30 pm -Banana Island - This trio exhibits family entertainment at it's best, with their use of dance, puppets, props and costumes, the kids will really enjoy this show.
4. "Irish Pub Night" at Liederplatz Monday August 3rd - and you MUST see Seamus Kennedy, 9 - 11 pm: with his endless supply of stories and jokes, he will have you sing-a-long and laugh the entire time! (One song even encourages you to finish a pint with him! bum-bum-bum!)
5. "Day at the Beach" Thursday August 6 from 8:30 pm - 11 at Plaza Tropical: Enjoy the famous Buffett coverband Jimmy and the Parrots and the Mango Men as you relax and take in the sounds!
6. The Flamin' Caucasions Saturday August 8 from 7:30 pm - 11 at Festplatz: This rock group was best known as the house band from John De Bella's morning zoo on Philly radio station WMMR. Join in!
7. Closing ceremonies Sunday August 9th firework display at 9:45 pm.
IF YOU GO:
Musikfest is open 5-11 p.m. July 31 and noon-11 p.m. Aug. 1-9. Alcohol vendors serve until 10:30 p.m., Food and Beverage Ticket booths are open until 10:45 p.m. and all other food and merchandise vendors until 11 p.m.
Shuttleplatz is a service featuring an air-conditioned bus that transports you to the festival grounds from these off-site parking lots: Musikfest Central Parking (Route 412 and Lynn Avenue, north of Exit 67 off I-78) and Martin Tower (Eigth Avenue, off Route 378).
The new FEST LOOP, operated by LANTA, is the official Musikfest on-site shuttle service for 2009. The FEST LOOP shuttles will operate as a North Side Festival Express Route. THE LOOP shuttle will run its regularly scheduled south side stops as well as the modified FEST LOOP Northern Route. A LANTA unlimited daily ride pass is $2.50 (exact change required).